Tuesday, January 19, 2010

1/18/10 Letter

Dearest Jiating!
What I really want to mention is that I have been really impressed with the missionaries. I can't imagine what it would be like to go right after high school to leave your family for 2 years and try to learn a language. Wow, they really are amazing. And, many people warned me about the elders and how they were so immature, but honestly, they are such examples to me. Of course, they are 19, but wow, they sure are grown-up 19 year olds most of the time. I am constantly amazed at their insights into the gospel and their willingness to work and strive to be better. I love those elders, it makes me feel like I am fulfilling my role as sister, even though I can't be there with you.
Oh my goodness, guess what!? We teach in all chinese on Sat! Wow, this is so fast. Haha, remember how we thought I would be a week ahead? :) I was actually a week behind. I haven't been here a month yet, but we are on Week #6, in MTC time. And, week 6: teaching in zhongwen!
Oh, so I had my first experience with cracked wheat and grits. Love them. I don't know why I didn't discover this warm, delicious treat before. I love a bowl of cracked wheat and raisins in the morning along with my fruit and yogurt. So good. Have we ever had cracked wheat before?
Ok, this week we wrote our sacrament meeting talks on the Atonement which was so wonderful. It was so wonderful to study the Savior's Atonement and think about it the whole day and throughout sacrament meeting (shengcan juhui). I just want to share a couple of my favorite scriptures with you: D&C 19:16-19, Mosiah 3:7, 3Nephi 27:13-16, **Alma 36:19-21, and ***John 16:33. Wow, the Atonement is truely amazing and it has such power for all of us. Not just so that we can be cleansed of sin, but we can become better saints and disciples of Christ through the Atonement.
A lot of the time we get to practice teaching each other and get to be investigators for each other. A couple days ago I was an investigator and I thought of something that is really crucial for investigators. Investigators or anyone who wants to know NEEDS to KEEP Commitments! You can't know the truth of Joseph Smith or the Book of Mormon without reading it, and you definitely can't know without prayer. It takes action on our part. Of course, there are some people who can feel the spirit very strongly in the first lesson and know of its truthfullness right away. But, even if you know then, you NEED to read the Book of Mormon for yourself and pray. If you don't the Book of Mormon will be just another book and Joseph Smith will be just another guy who told us some cool things. You have to gain a testimony for yourself through action, through desire, through prayer and fasting to know for yourself. I know that Joseph Smith restored this church and that he did see God the Father and Jesus Christ. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and that by following the words of the prophets we are following our Heavenly Father. We have a prophet on this earth today. His name is Thomas S. Monson and I know he is a prophet of God and receives revelation. Shi zhenshi de. Wo ai nimen, he yao nimen you kuaile.

Loves!Sister Ko

No comments:

Post a Comment