Monday, January 17, 2011

12/12/10 Email

Dearest family,

Guo xiu rong is getting baptized on Sat! She set the time and has someone to baptize her so it will happen this Sat. And jing yi came to church again yesterday and is right on track to be baptized on the 25th. Christmas! :) I think she's really excited about that, and it will be really fun because all the missionary companionships in our chapel will have a Christmas baptism. It's a white christmas :) hehe, white baptismal clothes mean a white christmas for taichung missionaries.
This is what I wrote to dad and thought you might also enjoy: Yes, I am so thankful for each my companions and what they have done for me. I was thinking about it the other day, and every companionship has it's easy-breezy aspects and it's really hard things. But it is so important to love them for who they are and for who they can become. I learn so much from each one and learn so much more about the kind of person I want to be. I have also noticed how much more important it is to have the spirit. You need the spirit. There is no other way to have a lesson. The past couple weeks I have been so grateful for the presence of the spirit in our lessons and so thankful for it's tixing...umhh... it's guidance ba. My brain thinks in chin-glish so sometimes I really don't know what I want to say in english. But there are so many times that I honestly don't know what to do say or don't know how to answer, and all of a sudden, the answer is in my mind and i'm explaining something I wouldn't even know how to answer in english. It's a very humbling experience. and of course I've also had lessons where I don't feel the spirit as strongly. There is a difference. And with the spirit is the only way the gospel of Jesus Christ can be taught.
But, to be honest the past couple days were a little hard for me. That one mom I was telling you about, I don't remember how much I told you but she, ying chen, has word of wisdom problems but loves the book of mormon and knows that it is true. I'm not sure what it is about that really made me connect with her, but I love her so much that I didn't know what to do when I called her on Friday and it was a totally different person. Didn't want to meet with us, didn't want to come to church, said she was too busy to meet with us. I don't think I would even know how to explain it, but I know that she knows the church is true and I know that Jesus Christ and His church is the answer to her life's questions. She knows it's when she meets with us and reads the Book of Mormon that she's happier. I had a really hard time understanding and getting through that. We went to visit her yesterday and were able to understand more. The hardest part is that she wants to keep learning and wants church but has so much family pressure. It is still her own decision and I know that she will keep reading and praying but we won't be able to keep meeting with her. I don't know how to describe it, I felt like my heart was wretched out, I had done everything I could possibly think of and it wasn't enough. I've been on the mission a while, I've dropped people before, but ying chen is different. I felt like I really understood her and for sure I knew what the gospel could do for her life and I know this is what she needs. And, to see her change and fall in love with reading the Book of Mormon was one of the most exciting and happiest moments. Sister Lai and i were talking about how there are just some investigators you get excited to see because you know they appreciate what you are teaching and are willing to apply. She was one of those. I know one day she will get another chance and but right now it still hurts.
But, of course, you have to move on. Teach those who will listen and accept the message and keep commitments so that they can receive baptism. Life goes on, the mission work will still keep going because the gospel is still true. And no matter what happens it still is Christ's church. Through Joseph Smith, the fulness of God's truth is on the earth so we don't have to be confused about why we are here or what we are doing. We all have a loving Heavenly Father who lets us know about the Plan of Salvation, and through the power of Christ's Atonement we all can return to live in His presence with our families.
I love you family!
-sister ko

No comments:

Post a Comment